Monday 15 September 2014

I Surrender!

I couldn't wait long enough for an actual game. I think I'm in love. Or maybe just crazy. Whichever the case may be, I've now bought the AUG. After having it with me for just one day.

I now own the gun, two batteries (a 8.4 volt NiMH and a 9.9 volt LiFe), one high capacity magazine and four midcap magazines, and a front grip.


I need a sling of some sort, naturally, and magazine pouches to carry this stuff around with me. I have an old Bundeswehr harness lying around from a Halloween costume years back, but it do much good on its own.

I found a video on Youtube on how to disassemble the AUG, so I just had to see how that works. I've loved taking things apart ever since I was very young, and this is no different. The outer barrel is also a bit wobbly for whatever reason, and I want to know why.

The more eagle-eyed reader might have noticed it already on my previous post. The flash hider does not sit straight on the end of the barrel; the ports on the sides should be perpendicular to the ground.

After a bit of fiddling around, having owned my first airsoft gun less than day, this is what I had on my hands.


The rail assembly was an amazingly tight fit on the barrel housing, so it took a lot of time and effort. I finally managed to pry them apart with a flat-head screwdriver. While doing that, I sadly scratched and dented the rail assembly somewhat along the way as well. I'm not happy, but at least it's just a cosmetic problem.


The next part I wanted to get off was the front outer barrel. The outer barrel was slightly wobbly and moved back and forth a millimetre or so. There is a hole near the root of the barrel, which contains  a rivet that is keeping the outer barrel in place, albeit poorly. It again took quite a lot of force to pull out the outer barrel, but in the end it gave way to my attempts.

Looking into the barrel housing I saw the end of the rivet sticking out and decided I have to file it down if I'm ever going to get the barrel back in place. Using a small hand file and more than an hour of work, I finally managed to get it worn down pretty far. Then I had a brainwave and thought I could drill it out instead.


You can just see the hole where the rivet sat behind the ring inside the barrel housing. With the drill in play, I actually realized, once the "rivet" began to spin, that it was no rivet at all but a set screw. Which, by now, I had filed down to a short nub unable to ever hold anything in place ever again. At this point the penny dropped also as to why the rail assembly was on so tight. Oh wow.

Today I learned about set screws. At least I figured out why the flash hider was not on straight. The whole outer barrel was simply twisted a bit.

I put the parts away for another day when I might feel a bit less dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment